What a difference a (CPI) Day makes

We often talk about, ‘one piece of data does not make a trend,’ that ‘a headline is just a headline’ and that ‘assumptions are not facts.’ We feel this timeless market lesson has been slightly forgotten of late and the latest US CPI data may be case-in-point judging by the market’s reaction to the read. Let have a dive into the ...

May 16, 2024
Read More >
Banking it – Where are we after the May Central Bank deluge?

What a week and a half we have had - Central Banks the world over have delivered their May decisions for their respective interest rate moves (or non-moves).  Thus, we need to review the FX reactions and the outlook for rates for the rest of 2024. Let’s start at home: RBA and the AUD First, as expected the Reserve Bank of Australia (...

May 14, 2024
Read More >
Inside the Fed

Let us open with this:  “It’s unlikely that the next policy rate move will be a hike. I’d say it’s unlikely,” – US Chair Jay Powell This verbatim quote puts a lid on the movements seen in bond and interbank markets that might have overacted to recent data that has been above expectations and has led some to price hikes. The let u...

May 2, 2024
Read More >
Fed Pauses, Markets Rally: But What’s Next?

As expected, there was no change in the U.S. interest rate, with the decision to keep rates at 5.5% having been previously telegraphed and already priced in. As is always the case, markets dissected the statement and the subsequent press conference by Fed Chairman Jerome Powell to look for clues about what future Fed direction may or may not be. ...

November 2, 2023
Read More >
Markets Watch the Fed Decision Tonight – But Will We Stray from the Current Path?

After the BOJ's action yesterday, the ramp-up of earnings season, treasury auctions, and a flurry of data over the next few days—including U.S. jobs data—market attention will briefly focus on the U.S. interest rate decision this evening. Chairman Jerome Powell and the Fed members will conclude their two-day meeting today and release the la...

November 1, 2023
Read More >
Fed Interest Rate Decision – How might this move the markets?

It’s that time again, the looming US FOMC meeting is upon us. Once again, investors and analysts are confident that they know the result. With the rate currently at 5.50%, markets have priced in a hold, with the CME FedWatch Tool giving it a 99.6% probability of the second consecutive hold for the Fed. Let’s explore that 0.4% chance that ...

November 1, 2023
Read More >
Three Key Things Markets Will Be Watching This Week

As major indices continue to look weak and test key technical levels, ongoing market sentiment is difficult to judge, with several crucial information points coming up over the next few days. #1 The Fed Rate Decision The Federal Reserve's narrative remains hawkish in terms of medium-term interest rates. Friday's PCE data did little to calm fe...

October 30, 2023
Read More >
ECB Preview – Euro steady ahead of rate decision – EURUSD analysis

EURUSD is heading into today’s knife-edge ECB rate decision lacking any real direction after Wednesdays CPI inspired choppy performance. Markets are split on today’s ECB rate decision with money markets pricing around a 65% chance of a 25bps rate hike, but a slight majority of economists polled by Bloomberg expecting a hold. Against this backdr...

September 14, 2023
Read More >
Non-Farm Payrolls Preview – Charts to watch – DXY – US10Y

Todays NFP figure out of the USA is shaping up to be a pivotal moment in market expectations as to whether we’ve seen peak rates from The Federal Reserve, or if there is more to come and the ramifications that will have for the FX market. NFP figures are always interesting, traditionally the biggest market moving figure of the month on the US ...

August 4, 2023
Read More >
Bank of England Decision could send the Pound Lower

Since March 2023, the GBPUSD had been trading higher as the US Federal Reserve and the Bank of England (BoE) maintained along their path to continue raising rates, as they battled to bring inflation down to their 2-3% target level. As the DXY recovered in strength, this led the GBPUSD to reverse from the high of 1.3130, trading down toward the l...

August 2, 2023
Read More >
FOMC Preview – One and Done, or More to Come? The Charts to Watch

The long-awaited July FOMC meeting is finally upon us where rates markets are pricing in a sure thing for a 25bp hike (even a small chance of a 50bp), the question that traders will be looking for to be answered is “is this it?”. With a growing number of economists calling this the top in rates, butting up against the FOMC June statement and un...

July 26, 2023
Read More >
Understanding Monetary Policy: A Guide to Hawkish and Dovish Approaches

Familiarity with terminology used in financial markets is arguably highly important for those investing in financial products. This understanding can assist with both entry and exit decision-making in the context of an individual's risk profile and objectives.  Two terms that are often used to describe the overall position of a central bank are...

July 23, 2023
Read More >
The Economics of Currency Pegs: Stability vs. Risk

A currency peg is a policy in which a country's government or central bank fixes the exchange rate of its currency to the value of another currency or a basket of currencies. The pegged rate is enforced by the country's central bank, which will exchange currency at that rate. Commonly, countries that participate in this practice prefer to peg th...

July 17, 2023
Read More >
Bank of England hikes again

Bank of England announced the latest policy decision on Thursday, raising interest rates for the 12th consecutive time from 4.25% to 4.5%, which was in line with expectations. Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee voted by a majority of 7-2 to raise interest rates to 4.5%. Two members voted to maintain the interest rate unchanged at 4...

May 11, 2023
Read More >
RBA surprises the market hiking 25bp against expectations

The Reserve Bank of Australia rate meeting today was supposed to be a done deal of another hold in rates, with futures markets pricing in an over 90% chance of that being the outcome. The RBA however, showing their determination to get an inflation rate still well outside their target band instead delivered a 25bp hike after last months pause, s...

May 2, 2023
Read More >